2022 JAB Draws
U13 – U11 – U9 – U7
BRU- JAB Age Grade Requirements and Dispensations
Grades and Required Dates of Birth
- Under 7 Must be born on or after January 1st 2015. Ie born in 2015 or 2016
- Under 9 Must be born on or after January 1st 2013. Ie born in 2013 or 2014
- Under 11 Must be born on or after January 1st 2011. Ie born in 2011 or 2012
- Under 13 Must be born on or after January 1st 2009. Ie born in 2009 or 2010
- Under 15 Must be born on or after January 1st 2007. Ie born in 2007 or 2008
- Under 17 Must be born on or after January 1st 2005. Ie born in 2005 or 2006
One of the principal objectives of the Buller Rugby Union, is to encourage and get as many players onto the rugby fields playing rugby, as is possible. Sometimes teams struggle for numbers and fitting in players into the team age grouping is difficult. On this basis it is necessary to provide a mechanism to consider requests from coaches to grant an age dispensation for such players.
- The BRU RDO will manage the Dispensation Policy alongside the CEO.
- These two are delegated the authority to make an autonomous decision in regard to that player.
- A club delegate completes a ‘dispensation request form’ for the player seeking a dispensation for his/her team. It must be completed PRIOR to the player’s first game. The RDO will collate requests. Guidance and advice may be provided to the RDO.
- The Dispensation Committee considers the request and if they are satisfied there are possible grounds for a dispensation, may view the player, playing in that grade, and as part of their deliberations considers the matters shown below:
- The skills of the player
- The size of the player
- The health of the player
- The age of the player
- The players representative history
- The effect that the player may make to the players team
- Consideration of the composition of the player’s team and what, if any effect, the player would have on the competition as a whole.
The following rules shall apply to Dispensated players:
- A Dispensated or a proposed Dispensated player may be exempt from playing certain positions that the committee determines.
- Dispensated or a proposed Dispensated player must wear an arm-band (red insulation tape) AT ALL TIMES while on the field. Any Dispensated player, not wearing an armband, cannot play.
- The dispensation committee may impose any additional conditions on the player, the committee considers appropriate.
- A dispensation can be revoked at any time during the playing season, by the dispensation committee on their own volition.
- Dispensated players shall be exempt from kicking for goal, for touch off penalties and restarts in competition grades.
It is possible that decisions of the dispensation committee may be considered unreasonable by team management. If a team coach, of the applicable grade, wishes to lodge an appeal of the decision, they and only they, may do so directly to the Union CEO. The CEO will then appoint a single ‘Reviewing Officer’, who shall have full autonomy, to consider the decision of the dispensation committee and may uphold, modify or overturn the decision. This decision is final and no further appeal may be lodged.