2021 JAB Draws
U13 – U11 – U9 – U7
BRU- JAB Age Grade Requirements and Dispensations
Grades and Required Dates of Birth
Under 7 Must be born on or after January 1st 2014
Under 9 Must be born on or after January 1st 2012
Under 11 Must be born on or after January 1st 2010
Under 13 Must be born on or after January 1st 2008
Under 15 Must be born on or after January 1st 2006
Under 17 Must be born on or after January 1st 2004
One of the principal objectives of the Buller Rugby Union, is to encourage and get as many players onto the rugby fields playing rugby, as is possible. Sometimes teams struggle for numbers and fitting in players into the team age grouping is difficult. On this basis it is necessary to provide a mechanism to consider requests from coaches to grant an age dispensation for such players.
- The BRU RDO will manage the Dispensation Policy alongside the Rugby Manager.
- These two are delegated the authority to make an autonomous decision in regard to that player.
- A team coach provides details of the player seeking a dispensation for his team to the RDO, and requests consideration by a Dispensation Committee PRIOR to the player’s first game. The RDO will collate requests. Guidance and advice may be provided by the RDO.
- The Dispensation Committee considers the request and if they are satisfied there are possible grounds for a dispensation, may view the player, playing in that grade, and as part of their deliberations considers the matters shown below:
- The skills of the player
- The size of the player
- The health of the player
- The age of the player
- The players representative history
- The effect that the player may make to the players team
- Consideration of the composition of the player’s team and what, if any effect, the player would have on the competition as a whole.
The following rules shall apply to dispensated players:
- A dispensated or a proposed dispensated player must not play at the positions of 8, 9 or 10 or any other position the committee determines.
- Dispensated or a proposed dispensated player must wear an arm-band (provided by the BRU or red insulation tape in the event no bands are available) AT ALL TIMES while on the field (red). Any dispensated player, not wearing an armband, cannot play.
- The dispensation committee may impose any additional conditions on the player, the committee considers appropriate.
- A dispensation can be revoked at any time during the playing season, by the dispensation committee on their own volition.
- Dispensated players shall be exempt from kicking for goal, for touch off penalties and restarts in competition grades.
It is possible that decisions of the dispensation committee may be considered unreasonable by team management. If a team coach, of the applicable grade, wishes to lodge an appeal of the decision, they and only they, may do so directly to the Union RM. The RM will then appoint a single ‘Reviewing Officer’, who shall have full autonomy, to consider the decision of the dispensation committee and may uphold, modify or overturn the decision. This decision is final and no further appeal may be lodged.